Duration: 3 days | Price: $2,150 + GST
Program ID: E018-002 | PD Hours/CDU:21
The Requirements Gathering & Specification training course is for business analysts who need to gather, prioritise and document their client’s requirements for new systems, features or enhancements.
You’ll learn the key business analysis skills and techniques needed to investigate business problems, to elicit requirements and to produce a Business Requirements Specification. You’ll also learn how to design a high-level model of the proposed solution using terms and techniques that the client can understand and sign-off.
Teamwork is a major focus of the course as you work with other business analysts to solve the case study problem.
Is This the Right Course for You? ...
Is This the Right Course for You?
If you’re an experienced business analyst or systems analyst who has learned on-the-job, you’ll be able to formalise the skills and techniques you’ve picked up in the workplace.
Both new and experienced analysts will leave the course with skills, tools and methodologies that can be used on a variety of different projects (web, office, enterprise systems, etc) and with a variety of methodologies (such as agile, iterative and waterfall).
Course Objectives ...
In this workshop you’ll have the opportunity to plan and conduct your own interviews, and also learn from others as they do the same. You’ll also practise your interaction skills as your team validates and verifies the information you’ve gathered.
Then it’s time to deliver your recommendation. We’ll show you a proven framework for logically presenting information and you’ll get to practise your presentation skills. You’ll also take away some tips and techniques for speaking to groups.
The IIBA® has identified communications skills as one of the top 3 business analysis competencies and most job descriptions give communications skills a high priority – how good are yours?
Learning Outcomes ...
- scope a project, define business objectives and constraints
- understand the different requirements gathering strategies
- plan and conduct stakeholder interviews
- write a Terms of Reference (Project Charter)
- understand how modelling techniques can be used
- establish functional and non-functional requirements
- analyse and validate business requirements
- establish measures for non-functional requirements
- differentiate between requirements and solutions
- present recommendations to stakeholders
What Past Attendees Said ...
What Past Attendees Said
Senior Business Analyst, MLC
“Very relevant, will assist me in my everyday job”
Business Analyst, Centrelink
“Great material – worthwhile for all levels of experience”
Business Analyst, Macquarie Group
“Excellent templates/samples to take back to the work place”
Business Analyst, ATO
“Very practical course, highly applicable to my current job”
Business Analyst, Commonwealth Bank
“Full of useful material. Not a dull moment”
Senior Analyst, Department of Justice
“Practical course, will leave a lasting impression”
Associate Business Analyst, ING
“Enabled me to place my current role on major projects into context”
Business Analyst, Victoria Police
Course Outline ...
- Requirements gathering overview
- Project kick-off
- Planning the strategy
- Initial information gathering
- Functional and non-functional requirements
- Technical and business constraints
- The detailed requirements
- Verifying requirements
- Prioritising requirements
- Quantifying non-functional requirements
- Critical requirements analysis
- Modelling tools and techniques
- The quality baseline
- Managing requirements issues
- Presenting recommendations
- Obtaining agreement
Course Dates & Bookings ...
Course Dates & Bookings
(If the link for your preferred date below is disabled, there are no places available – contact us for options)
|2017||Nov 21-23||Nov 21-23||Dec 12-14||Nov 14-16||Nov 1-3||Nov 1-3||Contact Us|
|2018||Feb 21-23||Feb 21-23||Mar 21-23||Mar 7-9|
|May 22-24||May 23-25||Jun 27-29||Jul 25-27|
We can also run this course in-house on your premises with flexible dates.