WORKSHOP FACILITATION SKILLS
Duration: 2 days | Instructor-Led | Course Fee: $1,480 + GST
Workshops are a regular feature of the business analyst’s life and often you are the one tasked with facilitating them. And not just requirements investigation workshops, but a whole range of project related activities – reviews, planning, team building, walkthroughs, sign-offs, etc.
A successful workshop outcome relies on the skill of the facilitator to keep everyone focused on the objectives of the workshop, to keep everyone on track, and to make sure everyone gets a chance to contribute.
For organisations, well facilitated workshops result in faster projects and higher value business outcomes. For business analysts, facilitation skills provide the personal and professional growth that will increase your value to the business.
These skills can be learned – and attending this workshop will give you the opportunity to practise a wide range of techniques applicable across multiple types of workshops. As well as these you’ll also cover techniques specific to requirements elicitation, decision making and requirements prioritisation workshops – the bread and butter of a business analyst’s life.
You can now attend this course remotely.
The course will still be practical, interactive and delivered live by senior instructors with 15 – 25+ years’ experience with the skills to make the intensive learning experience interesting and enjoyable.
Various additional measures to maximise the remote training experience have also been experimented, planned and incorporated. Find out more about practical training delivered remotely (live).
In addition, anyone tasked with facilitating a workshop or group meeting will also find the techniques in this course applicable to a wide range of scenarios.
On completion of the Workshop Facilitation Skills training workshop, you will be able to:
- Define the business objectives for a workshop
- Know when and how to use the workshops
- Plan and facilitate a workshop
- Use a range of facilitation techniques
- Manage group dynamics and personalities
- Implement post-workshop actions
Practical work features throughout and a mixture of individual and team exercises will allow you plenty of opportunities to practice the techniques being taught. In addition, a central case study links several exercises into a consistent theme to simulate a series of workshops on a single project.
- What is a facilitated workshop?
- When to use workshops – meetings versus workshops
- The facilitators role & your objectives
Before the workshop
- Defining the scope
- Participants roles and stakeholder analysis
- Logistics and practicalities
- Being specific about objectives and desired outcomes
- Facilitators style
- Rules and guidelines for facilitators
- Physical vs. virtual workshops
- Technology and tools
- Facilitation techniques
- How to end a workshop
- Working with business and operational staff
- Working with technical/IT people
- Personalities, hidden agendas and strategies
After the workshop
- Post-workshop deliverables
- Participant follow up
- Verifying agreed issues – making sure they get done
- Managing unresolved issues
- The facilitator’s toolkit
- When and where to use
- Where to find help and additional resources
Requirements elicitation workshops
- Being clear on objectives
- Gathering vs. eliciting
- Techniques: RAD, JAD, JRP
- S.M.A.R.T. requirements
- Workshop outputs
- Modelling tools
- Evaluating functional requirements
Decision making & prioritisation workshops
- When should they be run?
- A 5 step decision making process
- Four common decision making techniques
“Informative, practical and well run” Business Analyst, ANZ Bank
“Very well conducted and run course. A lot of knowledge and skill was passed on to the class” Business Analyst, Department of Veteran’s Affairs
“Excellent pointers for planning and structuring a workshop” Business Analyst, Allianz
COURSE DATES & BOOKINGS
|Anywhere - Remote Delivery||7 - 8 October 2021|
|Group Booking - Remote Delivery||Flexible Dates & Hours|
|Your Office - In Person||Flexible Dates & Hours|
|Adelaide||Select one of the options above|
|Brisbane||Select one of the options above|
|Canberra||Select one of the options above|
|Melbourne||Select one of the options above|
|Perth||Select one of the options above|
|Sydney||Select one of the options above|
Course hours during daylight saving time (3 October 2021 – 3 April 2022):
- AEDT: 9:00am – 5:00pm (ACT, NSW, TAS, VIC)
- ACDT: 8:30am – 4:30pm (SA)
- AEST: 8:00am – 4:00pm (QLD)
- ACST: 7:30am – 3:30pm (NT)
- AWST: 6:00am – 2:00pm (WA)
Course hours during standard time: 9:00am – 5:00pm AEST.
For other locations or time zones, Convert to your time zone.
We train professionals from these Australian organisations and more: